Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Can I get my wisdom teeth extracted with a restricted jaw opening?

An oral surgeon is the right kind of Dr. to see. He/she will be able to work with your TMJ problem and your wisdom teeth. There is no reason for those teeth to come out at this time unless one or more of them is putting pressure on the nerve or is infected. Impacted only means that they are dormant in the jaw and cannot erupt. I only had three wisdom teeth to start with and the two top ones tried to erupt but with no tooth below to help them grow in correctly in place they became irritating and I had them extracted in my early 20's. The remaining one stayed put until I was in my 40's when it started to try to erupt sideways thru my gum. It had to be extracted by the oral surgeon. The oral surgeon will be able to give you a complete diagnosis about what is causing which problem and how to overcome your jaw lock so that any surgery deemed necessary can be performed. Your Mom doesn't have to be in the room for your consultation so have a frank discussion with the Dr. and if yuo do not get good answers ask for another opinion from a different practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment